Friday, August 14, 2009

I'm skurred...and a touch turrified

Can I just say how uncomfortable the political scene is making me right now? No, not "oh my Gosh, I'm not going to get my way" scared, but "holy shit, how long until this turns into mass killings" scared. People are getting way too emotionally riled by this healthcare issue, and it's starting to...no, it IS feeling like it's about to turn nasty in a way that American legislation has not in many years.

The first thing about this healthcare debate that bothers me is the rapid-fire misinformation that's being shot from both sides. While I know this is going to ruffle feathers, the majority of this misinformation is being disseminated from a very few republican talking heads and congressmen (is there a difference?). Claims about death squads, rationing emergency care, forcing everyone to get on the same health care plan, etc seem to be shooting rapidly around a room of ever-angered crowds. Since when is it considered okay to just openly LIE about things? I'm honestly to the point where I don't see any value in government transparency, if it means that people aren't going to bother fact-checking what they're told.

Second, the mob mentality is getting out of control. Democrats are angry and defensive. People like Keith Olbermann are using some rhetoric that's unhelpful (to steal a phrase from our Secretary of State). But you don't see the crazed ANGER that you see from the republicans at these town hall meetings we keep hearing about. That's partially because I haven't attended one. You can bet your sweet, sweet ass that if I were at a meeting and I sat near some crazed old fuckworm screaming loudly to drown out conversation, I'd have NO qualms about just marching over there and punching him square in his semi-toothless face. I mean, I'm actually ANGRY at these people for being so childish and stupid. And if you don't agree with me that screaming to get your way is stupid, then I'm not going to apologize. That's how I feel. Only dumb pieces of shit would go to a political meeting and yell to prevent others from speaking. I don't care WHAT party you are, that's just unacceptable behavior. It's a face-punching offense. Angry mobs do not a safe place make.

It's not just at the town hall meetings, either. People are carrying signs saying "don't let my disabled child die at the hands of a death panel" or "don't let Obama keep you sick"...WTF does that even mean???? It's extremely manipulative to say things like that, especially when they're not true. There are plenty of people participating in this who are poor and marginalized, or who are ignorant and stupid. That's a granted in any situation. But there are intelligent people getting sucked in by the bullshit, and I think that's scary. Doctors and lawyers are believing radical theories and protesting in a manner that's flat-out unamerican. America is a place for rationality, not fear-stampeding like a herd of cattle who've heard a gunshot nearby.

Failed republican leaders like Sarah Palin are jumping in and using their positions to disrupt political progress, and that's wrong, too. Nancy Pelosi isn't doing much better. The only person I see doing things in a calm, collected, and kind manner is Barack Obama himself, and he's the one being villified.

On a side note, how is it that people think Obama is trying to steal business from health insurers. Does anybody think he's allowed to benefit from this at all? Like, does he get a check from our employers if they chose the government plan? No, he doesn't. I think his plan has flaws, but not the ones being mentioned. And I certainly don't think he's trying to be a bad guy or deceive or anything else. I believe he truly is trying to do what he thinks is best for the US. And I think he'll accomplish it. The crazier the GOP gets, the more likely this is to get pushed through. Because many of us who were on the fence about it have been driven away from the right completely, just out of irritation and general avoidance of frantic fear-energy. As the right has gotten right-er, the middle has been forced onto the left.

Finally, I think it's important to note one thing: The status quo doesn't work. It doesn't. There are kids who have teeth rotting painfully out of their mouths. There are elderly people who can't afford basic medical care, and are left with things like untreated diabetes (gangrene feet and all). My plan, if I were president (and let's all be grateful that I'm not) would involve a completely fee-for-service only plan. Or possibly the "medical home" notion, wherein you pay dues to be part of a medical group, and you use the healthcare you need. Employers could pay these dues, but it'd be the same month-to-month, regardless of what care or lack of care you received. And I'd pay for the children and elderly by TAXING THE FUCK out of processed, sugary, fattening foods. I'd tax sodas and beer and cigarettes and Doritos and McDonalds and Velveeta. I'd throw tariffs around willy-nilly at rice-a-roni, ramen noodles, doughnuts, and candy bars. I'd tax items at restaurants PER CALORIE over a generous meal limit. Let's say we allow a SINGLE MEAL to be 1000 calories. There'd still be an extra thousand calories per meal at places like Applebees and Chilis. That's just cash dollas in my governmental purse. Why? Because obesity causes the American health care system 147 billion dollars per year. That's a pretty big chunk of change.

Maybe we should all just calm down a little and encourage others to do the same. It may be fun to be in heated debates, but in the end the debates that remain calm and friendly are the ones that accomplish the most.

5 comments:

  1. The Olbermann piece of a week or so ago is the BEST example I've seen of HACK journalism! Utterly offensive in its overt one-sidedness. I am neither Democrat NOR Republican. What I believe is: “You can't trust the man on the 6 o'clock news ~ he's got his own little slant he's got his own little views ~ a version of the truth that's all twisted and curled ~ he's prime time proof there's something wrong with the world.” – chuck cannon

    now, as to health care, here we have a serious problem. but the far more serious problem in our world is the polarizing effects of what our profiteering news media passes off to us as news. the VAST majority of people in this world acquire their information passively through television.

    BOTH sides are disingenuous!!! and what is DANGEROUS about this is we ALL lose as a result. I sent you an article from TIME magazine circa 1962 that talked about britian's nationalized health care plan which was already ballooning unexpectedly in costs. here in tennessee we tried it with disastrous results....

    i deny that i am FOR the status quo in health care. but i also assert that pelosi's plan is misbegotten and what NEEDS to happen (though i doubt it will) is for our leaders need to F'ING LEAD and NOT follow the silly assed will of the ill-informed masses so as to get re-elected! Bertrand Russell said something VERY appropriate here. Something to the effect that "the will of the people is FAR more dangerous than the will of God ... because the will of the people can actually be known" he illustrated what he meant by the results of a debate in which the "flat earth society" carried the day against a ship captain whose argument was simply, "i know the earth is round because i've been around it" the PEOPLE (ill informed and persuaded by a really good orator), voted that the earth was indeed flat.

    my point is and has been; passive acquisition of information yields what "they" want us to hear. whether from the left or right. radical change simply for the sake of change is simply arrogant. as i've said repeatedly, we have a serious problem here. but the hysterical approach of the o’riellys, olbermanns, limbaughs and moores of this world don’t do anything but polarize us. sadly, we take what they say (whichever side happens to tickle your fancy), and run with it, quote it, form our opinions and close our minds. we get sucked into taking sides, we assume, insinuate, & accuse, and come up with solutions that solve nothing, fixes that exacerbate the problem and posture some holier than thou attitude that in the end isn't even self serving - merely self righteous. what is fascinating is that the effect of polarization lumps all the good in with all the bad of the opposing sides. until anything true and good is rendered unrecognizable by the distortions of spin. and we buy it just for pointing this out,

    so ... the no-man's-land of the middle is where i choose to stand. not because I’m smarter or better ... simply because i don't trust any of the screamers or their respective statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NPR had an interview with a rabbi and author who has authored a book about the culture of doubt. He asserts that doubt is healthy, both in religion and in politics. He says that those who fail to doubt what they hear from others will always be ignorant. I can't help but agree with him. I realize the irony in me quoting a media source, but really, it's a solid notion. Intelligent people don't take what they hear, either from the media or from friends, at face value. They read and research and try to find a vast array of information from which they form their opinions.

    Sadly, few of us are really immune to media opinion. It's so pervasive in our lives that to eschew it completely would feel very alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the Daily Show episode with Austan Goolsby. I like him. He speaks clearly, he makes sense when he speaks, and he doesn't get all flustered.

    And just for the record, I don't mind that he speaks to people like he's trying to explain something to a 4-year-old. He's just making sure that the common denominator understands what he's talking about. Isn't there some study about presidential debates and how back during the Lincoln/Douglas debate they used words that seniors in high school should understand, but that now the presidential candidates have to dumb it down to about a 4th grade level?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austan Goolsbee's head is SO small! But so full of knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yes, it is well after midnight, but I was at work at 4:30 AM, I took a nap, and now I'm wide away clutching another empty quart of Ben and Jerry and Eagle Rare. Damn you, world!
    2. I would love to say that I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican, to mean that I'm an Independent--and hopefully we ALL are independent of just accepting politics for truth--Truth is, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay to the left of what a "Democrat" is today.

    I mean, I'd like to think that I'm very open-minded to other's opinions and that my friends are diverse people with ideologies of their own, though. Okay, moving on...

    I didn't vote for Obama to be a Chocolate Jesus (as Bill Mahr calls him). I voted for the guy because he seemed like the least likely to cause a Nuclear Holocaust. I liked the optimism and willingness to compromise on some issues. I guess I voted against Stupid...and speaking of which: I didn't think that we would be out of Iraq in frickin' 5 months, I didn't expect healthcare for the masses right away (if at all), I knew that lobbyists would still have jobs, I kinda knew that white people and black people would still be afraid of each other, and I'm pretty sure hunger, mean people and AIDS will still be here for a while.

    Let's be honest, though...this administration has had to overcome some bumps in the road and has YET to figure out how to use the news cycle to their benefit. I give the overall post-campaign communication score a flippin' "G" for how crappy their messaging has been thus far (that's worse than the "F-" that is typically reserved for something beyond poopy).

    That being said, I don't see how anyone can hold Obama responsible for...um, whatever it is that we're pissed at--without directly holding our Congressional Representation accountable first. A lot of us took Civics in high school, right (just me, really???)? I'm all for marching up to D.C. and dragging those sold-out, sons-of-so-and-so out of the Nation's Capital by their ears and replacing them with real leaders of change who won't be purchased by every possible conflict of interest. And, we're walking...

    And the media is still to blame for the state of National ignorance. Why is CBS competing with Entertainment Tonight for material? How does FoxNews generate THAT much corporate sponsorship without any sort of consumer action taken? Bill O'Reilley was selling Pepsi well after Ludacris got canned for using expletives in his lyrics... Speaking of Sell-Out, how can you call yourself a journalist and espouse hollowed-out lies for fear of pissing off your corporate sponsorship and STILL be able to sleep at nigh?. Shame on you Katie Couric--I had higher hopes for you (Brian Williams, you're dead to me!). Can't polish a turd, Katie!

    For anyone interested, there is a pretty good book that I'm reading by T.R. Reid that lays out the various healthcare systems operating around the globe "Healing of America"...so far so good.

    Lastly, I hold the redonkulously stoopid short-term attention-spanned, shallow, selfish American responsible for the mess we're in and the apathy that allows the entertainment to regularly distract us from understanding and determining our priorities as a country. I saw more energy for the Michael Vick trial than I have at any of members of our Legislative system. Isn't it vierd? I think so.

    Good grief...I need some sleep...and some Jesus...juice.

    kris

    ReplyDelete